Monday, December 31, 2007

How It Started


What I am about to write here will probably deeply offend many people, especially serious jazz fans. I apologize in advance and all I can say is iff you think Out To Lunch or anything by Pat Metheny is a great jazz album, then this article is not for you. Get over it and move on.

Recently I was looking to enhance my jazz collection and Googled the above phrase and similar to get some ideas of what great CDs I was missing. I looked at several lists and what struck me about the lists was that there were so many bebop, modal jazz, and avante garde albums listed that I regard as incredibly worthy and groundbreaking, but not really enjoyable to listen to. I actually have many of these albums that always get mentioned, like Miles Davis’s Kind of Blue, Eric Dolphy’s Out To Lunch, Sonny Rollins’ Saxophone Colossus, and other stuff by Sun Ra, Mingus and Monk, but I really cannot say that I love them. Well, OK, I do give the Rollins CD a spin now and again, but most of the ‘greatest’ CDs don’t do that much for me.

And if someone comes into your office at lunchtime and you are playing Out To Lunch the question is much more likely to be “What the HELL are you listening to ?”, rather than “Mmm, what’s the name of that CD?”

Yet I spend many hours a week listening to jazz, at home, on the road, and at work. So what do I listen to?

Click here for Best 40 CDs list.

No comments: